中英惯用短语:
  • v.  我偶发现了我一直在寻找的东西.   I happened on just the thing I'd been looking for
  • v.  我偶听到他说他要到法国去.   saying he was going to France
  • n.  我凭直觉突对失去的珠宝有所感知.   I had a sudden intuition about the missing jewels
  • adv.  我初学开车, 当开不好了.   Naturally, as a beginner I'm not a very good driver yet
  • n.  我前面那辆小汽车突停住, 我只好刹车.   The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I had to brake
  • v.  我发现了他写给简的一些信, 赫了解了他的为人[他居心何在].   to what he was up to when I found some of his letters to Jane
  • n.  我发现竟身不由己又参与了一次无聊的争论.   I found myself being drawn into another dreary argument
  • adv.  我可以借用一下你的钢笔吗?' `当可以.'   May I borrow your pen for a moment?' `Certainly.' `
  • n.  我可以借用你的电话吗?'`当可以.' May is formal *may是较郑重的词   Could I use your telephone?' `Yes, of course.' `
  • n.  我吃了咖喱食物, 肚子真不舒服! raise Cain/hell/the roof => raise. the road to hell is paved with good intentions => road. see sb (damned) in `hell first(infml 口) (used when emphatically rejecting a suggestion用於断拒绝某项提议时)   That curry is playing hell with my insides!
  • v.  我听到那坏消息, 一直全不知所措.   I've been in a complete daze since hearing the sad news
  • n.  我听到那尖叫声不禁毛骨悚.   The hair on the back of my neck rose when I heard the scream
  •   我告诉他我要结婚了, 他半天才恍大悟.   He did a double take when I said I was getting married
  • n.  我喜爱自科学, 不喜欢人文科学.   I prefer science to the humanities
  • v.  我对此已习惯成自然.   Long use has accustomed me to it
  • adj.  我应该先审慎打探一下这家公司的底细, 後您再签字.   I should make a few discreet enquires about the firm before you sign anything