Chinese English Phrase:
  • n.  我在写现代语的语法书.   I'm writing a grammar of modern English
  •   我对你们国的天气可不太欣赏.   I don't think much of your English weather
  • adj.  我很恶心--大概是吃那鱼的缘故. Sick in British English is used only before a noun when it means `ill' 在语中, sick只有用在名词前时才作ill解   I feel sick I think it was that fish I ate.
  • v.  我很难设想能到国以外的地方去生活.   anywhere but England
  • v.  我得付给房东500镑押金才能搬进房里去.   I had to pay a 500 deposit to the landlord before I could move into the house
  •   我得花200镑修理汽车!   I had to pay out 200 to get my car repaired
  • n.  我必须努力提高语水平.   I must work to improve my English
  • adj.  我才不花300镑买他那辆旧汽车呢--这个价钱太高了.   I wouldn't pay 300 for his old car it's too steep
  • v.  我把这条裙子的下摆剪短了一寸.   I trimmed an inch off the hem of this skirt
  • v.  我每周收入30镑难以活命.   I can't survive on £30 a week, ie It is not enough for my basic needs
  •   我现在没有汽车, 但是下星期就能有一辆. Have when used in the present tense in British English is more formal than have got *have在语中用於现在时态, 比用have got显得郑重   I haven't got a car now but I'll have one next week.
  • v.  我由衷钦佩你勇绝伦.   I am filled with admiration for your bravery
  •   我的房东要挟说要把每周租金提高10镑.   My landlord's threatening to put the rent up by 10 a week
  • n.  我的报销申请中包括 15 镑杂项支出.   My expenses claim includes 15 for sundries
  • comb form  我的汽车每加仑汽油跑四十里.   My car does forty miles to the gallon
  •   我的汽车每耗一加仑油可行驶40里.   My car does 40 miles to the gallon, ie uses one gallon of petrol to travel 40 miles