中英慣用短語:
  •   你在(國普通教育文憑的)高級考試中有幾項及格? Cf 參看 O level, GCSE.   How many A levels have you got?
  •   你應該把語學好些再去美國工作.   You ought to improve your English before going to work in America
  • v.  你必須付500鎊押金及第一個月的租賃費.   You must deposit 500 as well as the first month's rent
  • adj.  你總共要花7.50英鎊.   That will cost you 7.50 in total
  • n.  你願意來就可以來. However, US speakers often use may where British English has can 但是美國人常用may, 國人多用can   You may come if you wish.
  •   你旅行了多少英裏?   How many miles did you do during your tour?
  • v.  你是用語思考呢, 還是在頭腦中把自己的語言翻譯過來呢?   Do you think in English or translate mentally from your own language?
  • abbr.  你是國國教徒嗎? Cf 參看 CE.   Are you C of E?
  •   你有一枚1鎊的硬幣嗎?   coin?
  •   你有一枚1鎊的硬幣嗎? As regards have3, British and US speakers form negatives and questions in the same way with do 至於have3, do)構成否定式和疑問式   coin?
  •   你有計算機嗎?'`有.' In US English questions and negatives are formed with do 在美式語中, 與do連用可構成疑問式和否定式   Have you got a computer?' `Yes, I have.' `
  • v.  你欠我5鎊, 快, 吐出來!   come on, disgorge
  • n.  你的保險單列有50鎊免賠額, 所以你的汽車損壞修理費的首50鎊要由你付.   You will have to pay the first £50 of the cost of repairing your damaged car as there is an excess of £50 on your policy
  • adj.  你的英語十分好!   Your English is impeccable
  • n.  你的語尚有進一步提高的餘地.   There is room for further improvement in your English
  •   你看這輛汽車值多少錢?'`我看值15000鎊.'   What would you put the price of this car at?' `I'd put it at 15000.' `