中英惯用短语:
  • v.  我出门通常乘坐共交通工具.   I normally travel by public transport
  •   我到纽约干时常顺便看场演出.   I generally try to take in a show when I'm in New York on business
  • v.  我到苏格兰去通常都取道6号高速路.   I usually take the M6 when I go to Scotland
  • v.  我只好拚命跑去赶共汽车.   I had to run like anything to catch the bus
  • v.  我听到传闻说司很可能要破产.   I've heard whispers that the firm is likely to go bankrupt
  • prep.  我听说他现在在帝国化学工业司工作.   I hear he's with ICI now
  • n.  我在共汽车上, 一边一个胖子把我夹在中间不能动.   I sandwiched myself between two fat men on the bus
  •   我在共汽车上转过身来, 谁料後面坐的竟是我的前妻.   I turned round on the bus and who should be sitting behind me but my ex-wife
  • adj.  我在这里是办事而不是度假.   I am here on business as opposed to a holiday
  • adj.  我坐共汽车感到头晕.   Travelling on a bus makes me feel queasy
  • n.  我对坐办室那种刻板的工作毫无兴趣.   Routine office jobs have no relish at all for me
  • v.  我对市议会不满, 主要是投入营运的共汽车不够用.   One of my main grouches against the council is that they don't run enough buses
  • n.  我已获全国化学制品司邀约面试.   I've got an interview with National Chemicals
  •   我希望到我表哥汤姆那儿去过圣诞节. We call on someone for an official purpose 因事去见某人可以说call on   I'm hoping to go and stay with my cousin Tom over Christmas.
  • adj.  我应该先审慎打探一下这家司的底细, 然後您再签字.   I should make a few discreet enquires about the firm before you sign anything
  • n.  我当总统时一直为众瞩目--谈不上私人的生活.   When I was President, I was always in the limelight there was no privacy