那是最美好的时代,那是最糟糕的时代;那是智慧的年头,那是愚昧的年头;那是信仰的时期,那是怀疑的时期;那是光明的季节,那是黑暗的季节;那是希望的春天,那是失望的冬天;我们全都在直奔天堂,我们全都在直奔相反的方向--简而言之,那时跟现在非常相象,某些最喧嚣的权威坚持要用形容词的最高级来形容它。说它好,是最高级的;说它不好,也是最高级的。 It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age offoolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so. far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
他走起路来是昂首挺胸、满怀自信,还是弯腰曲背,卑微猥琐? Does he walk erect and confident or is he humbly stooped?
向奖学金得主询问毁约的可能性,如同在婚礼上不怀好意询问新人离婚的机率。 Actually, quizzing the scholars about the probability of their bond-breaking is akin to asking a pair of newlyweds how likely it is that they will end up divorcing.
两个政党间怀恨的争吵。 a bitter quarrel between two parties.
有时,我觉得美国与我所见到的印第安苏族社会和佛教社会不同。太多的指手画脚的舆论专家们将我们的社会撕扯成了一个四分五裂、争论不休的希腊雅典式的社会,那些个人的艺术成就被怀疑为攫取财富的企图,或是政治宣传的声明。 I sometimes think that America, unlike the Sioux or the Buddhist societies I've seen, is torn by too many opinion-makers that divide us into a quarrelsome Athenian society where individual artistic achievements are suspected as attempts to enrich ourselves, or as political propaganda statements.
我对他的可靠性有怀疑。 I query his trustworthiness.
我怀疑他是否值得信赖。 I query his trust worthiness.
没有人对她的能力表示怀疑。 Nobody would query her ability.
我怀疑他是否可靠. I query whether he can is trusted.
我怀疑那样做是否正确。 I query whether it is right to do so.
我怀疑他的话是否可靠。 I query whether his word can be relied on.
股东们对向董事长之子付款一事表示怀疑。 The shareholder query the payment to the chairman's son.
我颇怀疑该声明的正确性。 I am inclined to query the accuracy of that statement.
请把从他们那里得到消息告诉我们,怀疑他们最后可能会做出让步。 Advise what you hear from them query their eventual concession possible.
一批科学工作者怀才抱志,开始了毕生的探索和追寻。 A batch of scientific workers with high aspirations embarked on a lifetime journey of exploration and quest.
并非婚姻全都没有爱。1517年对牧师是否应禁欲都表示怀疑的马丁·路德,却对婚姻改变了态度。 Not all marriages were without love, but it was Martin Luther, who in 1517 quest ioned whether it was necessary for a priest to be celibate, who changed attitude s to wedlock.
我想他的意图令人怀疑,对吗? I assume his intentions are questionable?
它是否真实值得怀疑。 It is questionable whether it is true.
可疑的性质或特点可疑的;怀疑的 Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
中东和平的可能性仍让人怀疑。 The likelihood for peace in the Middle East remains questionable.
这个医生被控告接受了药商的值得怀疑的资金。 The physician is accused of receiving questionable fund from a druggist.
盖世太保纳粹政体下的德国国内秘密警察,以其用以对付那些被怀疑为犯下叛国罪或其忠实可疑的人的恐怖方法而闻名 The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
不过,随着立法会和区议会所扮演的角色不断演进,不免使人怀疑香港这个人口和设施密集的城市,是否需要维持三层议会的架构。 However, with the development of the roles of the Legislative Council and the District Boards, it is questionable whether there are still valid reasons for maintaining a three-tier system of Government in a compact city like Hong Kong.
她用怀疑的目光看著我。 She looked at me questioningly.
他们怀疑地摇了摇头,好像在等待着进一步的说明。 they turned their heads questioningly, as if awaiting further instructions.
我并不是对你所要求的旅费表示怀疑,这笔钱数目很小,不足挂齿。 I am not questioning your claim for navel expenses. It's such a small amount that ifs not worth quibbling about.
他虽然已经变得白发苍苍、瘦骨嶙峋,却仍保持着一个神童的热情和机灵,谁也不能怀疑他给指挥台带来的对乐曲理解的深度,尤其是近几年他对乐曲的演释能力比以往更强了。 Though he had become white-haired and craggy, he retained the passion and the quickness of a underkind, and no one could dispute his depth of understanding he brought to the podium, particularly in recent years, when his interpretive powers were sharper than ever.
詹姆斯·奎尔再一次让人出乎意料:劳拉怀孕了。 Once again,James Quill had defied expectations.As it turned out,Laura was pregnant.
我怀着憎恶离开了他。 I quit him in disgust.
例如,我们调查的一位女性,拉比·米瑞埃姆通过家庭旅行产生了一种神圣的信仰--她看出父亲对大自然和拉什莫尔山怀有的敬畏和崇拜之情。 For example, one of the women we interviewed, Rabbi Miriam Kane, developed a sense of spiritualism from travels with her family-she observed her father's awe and admiration of nature and Mount Rushmore.
怀特先生是个种族主义者,他把来自墨西哥的洛佩斯先生叫做黑头鬼。 Mr White is a racist; he calls Mr Lopez from Mexico a greaseball.
居里夫人这位镭元素的发现者,将永远为人们所怀念。 Madame Curie will always be remembered as the discoverer of the element radium.